Tuesday, September 30, 2008

It's only life...

I was in the bathroom at school this morning and saw some interesting grafitti art written on the walls. Mind you, I usually read the mindless and sometimes useless chatter that people put up on the stall walls, read the arguements people have, think about how the stereotypical "art kids" almost always live up to their stereotype that has been placed upon them with their dramatic thoughts and adverstisements about upcoming shows and I think to myself..."i'm going to put something up there one day, something that will make someone think about whatever it is they are going through." And today, of all days, I saw something that stood out to me. It was a quote by Robert Frost (hopefully) about life. It said, "In three words, I can sum up what I have learned about life...IT GOES ON."
This for some reason has seemed to have a profound impact on me today, just thinking about how true that statement really is. Life does go on, shit happens, we should just get over it. We may fuck up occasionally (or in my case, quite a bit), or have many many accomplishments, but the truth is, does it really matter? Should we let our pasts predict our future? I don't think so. I think that our lives are what we make of it. I don't enjoy lingering on things that have already happened, it just makes you miserable. Take for instance another quote that I stole from a friend. "Holding a grudge is like drinking a poison and hoping the other dies first." Its so true. The people that lived before us aren't are dumb! They actually know what they are talking about! I find it interesting that the people that hold grudges and act on their past are usually the most miserable people on the face of the planet..all because they didn't listen to the ones that came before them ( I also find it interesting that one of the most talented psychologist of our times, Sigmund Freud, was addicted to cocaine...case in point that "illegal" drugs aren't that bad for you, but that is for another day...). I've realized that as I grow up that my parents are ranked #2 on the list of the smartest people I know....#1 being my ID, of course...but that is because they have taught me to learn from my mistakes, and theirs, and that just because you do something in your past, doesn't mean it will shape who you are in the future. And all because (although some may argue) PEOPLE CHANGE and LIFE GOES ON. How about that food for thought?

No comments: